My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://baanjochim.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

2549-01-23

A BOOK RECOMMENDATION

Of the stack of books I purchased in Thailand earlier this month, the best so far is Very Thai: Everyday Popular Culture by Philip Cornwel-Smith, photographs by John Goss.  This is a collection of essays with accompanying photos of all sorts of things that the Thai people take for granted but the farangs (foreigners) often ponder about.  I just began reading the book a couple of nights ago and have already learned why virtually every drink served in the Land Of Smiles contains salt (it's to rehydrate the body in the hot climate) and I've read about the drinks served at the food stalls in plastic bags (I had a Coke like this one day), about the unique Thai deserts (I had a tray of "mystery" deserts at the Baiyoke one night — I just knew many had sticky rice and bean paste in them and now I know I was right), and about the tiny tissues that pass for napkins at virtually every food stall or restaurant in Thailand.  The next chapter is about those insect "snacks" that Tim and her friends so enjoyed and which so grossed me out during our last night partying in Patong.

The book is so good that I'm thinking about purchasing a few extra copies for a couple of friends and family members as it seems to sum-up all I find fascinating about the country and it's people.  Amazon.com does carry the book, for around $21, which is more than I paid for it at Asia Books on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok (their website has it for $25.51, however, so who knows?).  At any rate, it would make a great birthday or Christmas gift — it's attractive hardcover makes it a good coffee table book and the format allows for browsing rather than reading it from cover to cover (although I'm reading it all the way through).

If you're interested, here are some (better) reviews of this remarkable book:

River Books (publisher of Very Thai)
Circle Of Asia
The Irrawaddy News Magazine (May 2005)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: